|SHARON CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT|
425-AR. DRESS AND GROOMING
Employees covered by this dress and grooming policy are professional and temporary professional staff members, school nurses, substitute teachers, student teachers, and adults approved by an Administrator to observe classroom activities (TSS workers, mobile therapists, behavioral shaping consultants).
1. All staff members shall be physically clean, neat, and well groomed.
2. All staff members shall dress in a manner reflecting their professional assignment.
3. All staff members must wear their identification badges at all times during the workday. However, teachers may remove badges in the classroom setting. The district will supply clip, lanyard, and badge for each employee.
4. All male employees shall be required to wear a dress shirt with necktie, dress pant (chinos, corduroys, slacks, trousers), and dress shoes. Cargo pants are not acceptable. Teachers assigned to lunchroom duty or recess supervision may remove their ties. Alternatives to a shirt and tie include the following:
A crewneck dress sweater over collared shirt
A turtleneck/mock turtleneck under a sport coat
A collarless long-sleeved or short-sleeved dress shirt under a sport coat
At the discretion of the teacher, however, sport coats or suit jackets may be removed in the classroom. By request, Art, Biology, Chemistry, Family and Consumer Science, and Shop/Technology Education teachers will be provided a protective smock to wear over their clothing.
5. Jeans are not acceptable attire for faculty. No denim clothing of any color is acceptable. They may only be worn on special days throughout the year as designated by the Superintendent. Included in these days would be faculty inservice days.
6. Casual and appropriate attire may be worn on dress down days, on student field trips, in association with special activities, or on inservice days. Dress down days must be requested through the Building Principal and approved by the Superintendent of Schools or his/her designee. Faculty field trip attire is to be determined by the building principal.
7. All female employees shall be required to wear a dress, blouse or sweater, and a skirt or pants (an appropriate coordinated outfit).
All skirts and dresses should be moderate in length and no more than three (3) inches above the knee
No shorts are permitted
No midriff skin should be exposed
No sleeveless tops or polo shirts are permitted
Cap sleeves are allowed
Undergarments may not be visible
Any pants worn must be below the knee in length
Hip hugger slacks are not permitted
8. Excessively short and/or tight fitting clothing is prohibited.
9. No plunging necklines are permitted.
10. Sports attire such as jogging suits, tennis skirts, etc. is prohibited. This includes velour suits.
11. All footwear must present the image of being well maintained, fashionable, and reserved exclusively for wearing in a classroom setting. Dress shoes are expected to be worn. No footwear should be tattered or soiled. No flip-flops are permitted.
12. All male employees shall be required to be clean-shaven at all times, with the exception of a well-trimmed mustache or beard.
This also includes no inappropriate piercings on either male or female employees, i.e., tongue, nose, lip, eyebrow, target/gauge earrings, etc.
Consistent enforcement for the employees covered by the dress code will be the responsibility of the immediate supervisor, Superintendent of Schools, or his/her designee in accordance with established Board policy pertaining to employee disciplinary procedures. Infractions will be handled on an individual basis. Disciplinary actions may include, but are not limited to, formal discussions with the immediate supervisor, Superintendent of Schools, or his designee, verbal or written warning(s), suspension without pay, and/or termination. Additionally, an unsatisfactory employee rating may be issued.
The right of an employee to appeal any penalty imposed as a result of an alleged violation of this policy, via terms of the grievance procedure of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, will be retained.