PART I. EXPECTATIONS
Case Avenue Elementary School agrees to implement the following statutory requirements:
· The school will put into operation programs, activities and procedures for the involvement of parents in its school, consistent with section 1118 of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA). Those programs, activities and procedures will be planned and operated with meaningful consultation with parents of participating children.
· In carrying out the Title I, Part A parental involvement requirements, to the extent practicable, the school will provide full opportunities for the participation of parents with limited English proficiency, parents with disabilities, and parents of migratory children, including providing information and school reports required under section 1111 of the ESEA in an understandable and uniform format and, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language parents understand.
· The school will involve the parents of children served in Title I, Part A schools in decisions about how the 1 percent of Title I, Part A funds reserved for parental involvement is spent.
· The school will be governed by the following statutory definition of parental involvement, and will carry out programs, activities and procedures in accordance with this definition:
Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including ensuring—
(A) that parents play an integral role in assisting their child’s learning;
(B) that parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child’s education at school;
(C) that parents are full partners in their child’s education and are included, as appropriate, in decision-making and on advisory committees to assist in the education of their child;
(D) the carrying out of other activities, such as those described in section 1118 of the ESEA.
· The school will inform parents and parental organizations of the purpose and existence of the Parental Information and Resource Center in the State.
PART II. DESCRIPTION OF HOW CASE AVENUE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL WILL IMPLEMENT REQUIRED PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT POLICY COMPONENTS
1. Case Avenue Elementary School will take the following actions to involve parents in the joint development of its parental involvement plan under section 1112 of the ESEA:
· Formation of Parental Involvement Policy review committee.
· Send invitations.
· Conduct review of policy during committee meeting
· Incorporate results of committee meeting and distribute.
2. Case Avenue Elementary School will take the following actions to involve parents in the process of school review and improvement under section 1116 of the ESEA:
· Parental participation in beginning and end of Year surveys.
· Review survey results.
· Parental participation in developing plan for improvement.
3. Case Avenue Elementary School will plan and implement parental involvement activities to improve student academic achievement and school performance:
· Survey staff/students to generate ideas.
· Monthly committee meetings.
· Involve SRU PDS participants as tutors, small group implementation, and action research.
4. Case Avenue Elementary School will coordinate and integrate parental involvement strategies under the following or other programs: Head Start, Reading First, Early Childhood Council, the Family Center, and Tiger Score by:
5. Case Avenue Elementary School will take the following actions to conduct, with the involvement of parents, an annual evaluation of the content and effectiveness of this parental involvement policy in improving the quality of the school. The evaluation will include identifying barriers to greater participation by parents in parental involvement activities (with particular attention to parents who are economically disadvantaged, are disabled, have limited English proficiency, have limited literacy, or are of any racial or ethnic minority background). The school will use the findings of the evaluation about its parental involvement policy and activities to design strategies for more effective parental involvement, and to revise, if necessary (and with the involvement of parents) its parental involvement policies.
1. Conduct end of year survey.
a. Generate survey
b. Copy survey
c. Distribute survey
d. Collection of survey
e. Talley surveys
f. Generate plan based on survey results
Parents will be involved in generating, taking, tallying survey results and generated plan for 2010/11 school year.
1. Case Avenue Elementary School will increase its capacity for strong parental involvement, in order to ensure effective involvement of parents and to support a partnership between the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement, through the following activities specifically described below:
A. Case Avenue Elementary School will provide assistance to parents of children served by the school, as appropriate, in understanding topics such as the following, by undertaking the actions described in this paragraph --
· the State’s academic content standards,
· the State’s student academic achievement standards,
· the State and local academic assessments including alternate assessments,
· the requirements of Part A,
· how to monitor their child’s progress, and
· how to work with educators:
o Parent conferences in Fall and Spring.
B. Case Avenue Elementary School will provide materials and training to help parents work with their children to improve their children’s academic achievement, such as literacy training, and using technology, as appropriate, to foster parental involvement, by:
o Principal’s Book Club/Book of the Month Club
o Principal’s Coffee Club
o Parental Involvement/PTO Plan
o PSSA Preview – (Math and Reading – Grades 3 – 6)
o Title I Literacy Family Events
Offered during school day and evening as well to accommodate parent schedules.
o Slippery Rock University Literacy Events
· Veteran’s Day
· Read Across America
o Books delivered to resource rooms, teacher resource rooms, classroom libraries, regular library, title 1 library
o Scholastic and National Geographic magazines-(adjusted per grade level annually
C. Case Avenue Elementary School will educate its teachers, pupil services personnel, principal and other staff, in how to reach out to, communicate with, and work with parents as equal partners, in the value and utility of contributions of parents, and in how to implement and coordinate parent programs that build ties between parents and school, by:
· Monthly Building Leadership Meetings
· District Leadership
· PTO Meetings
· Instructional Associates
D. Case Avenue Elementary School will to the extent feasible and appropriate, coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs and activities with Head Start, Family Center, Early Childhood Council, and other programs, and conduct activities that encourage parents to actively participate in the education of their children, by:
E. Case Avenue Elementary School will take the following actions to ensure that information related to the school and parent- programs, meetings, and other activities, is sent to the parents of participating children in an understandable and uniform format, including alternative formats upon request, and, to the extent practicable, in a language the parents can understand:
* * * * *
PART III ADOPTION
This Case Avenue Elementary School Parental Involvement Policy has been developed jointly with, and agreed on with, parents of children participating in Title I, Part A programs, as evidenced by Holly Bobby.
Holly Bobby, Parent
This policy was adopted by Case Avenue Elementary School on _Oct. 1, 2010_ and will be in effect for the period of 1 year.
Traci Valentino, Principal